iNet_forum_header_100112
Canon USA
New Contributor
weberdj

Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

I recently installed Windows 8.1.  ever since, I get the following error message

Cannot communicate with the printer.
Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

I've looked for the bi--directional support on the printer's dialog box, but to no avail.  Can someone help me?

Please use plain text.
Danny

Re: Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

Hi,weberdj!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

Thanks and have a great day!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
weberdj

Re: Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box.

Thank you. My printer is a MX882 Canon multifunctional. It was fine, and after I upgraded to 8.1, I have to change the default from MX882 Inkjet printer to MX 882. Then it will print, but I get the error message in the subject line.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LindaSue

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one! I updated to 8.1 the other day then started getting the "Enable Bi-Directional Support" message the next day. Oddly, it still prints (I also have an MX882). Eagerly awaiting the response from support. :smileyhappy:

Typically, I get a message that my printer is offline, but I think that has more to do with my laptop/wireless to wireless/printer connection than anything else. Usually I can just reconnect my laptop to my wireless--sometimes restart it totally-then it's fine.

Please use plain text.
Product Expert
Ebony

Hello weberdj,

Try the following steps listed HERE to Enable Bi-directional support and let us know what happens.

If you need more immediate assistance, please contact our support group: http://bit.ly/ContactCanon

Please use plain text.
Product Expert
Ebony

[ Edited ]

Hello LindaSue,

Try the steps listed in the post above. If the issue still occurs, uninstall / reinstall the updated drivers from HERE.

If the issue still persists, please contact our support group: http://bit.ly/ContactCanon

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Raye

Thank you; this process resolved the issue. I had already reinstalled the driver, but still had the problem. Now, thanks to your info, the printer now works. But I still get the stupid error message. Another reason to hate Windows H8! Oh, well.

Please use plain text.